Are you fascinated by the royal charm of Indian Kundan jewelry? Traditional Kundan jewelry is one of India's oldest forms of jewelry, with a rich legacy of over 2,500 years. The origins of Indian Kundan jewelry date back to the Rajput and Mughal eras, and it flourished under the patronage of the Mughals. It was then successfully adapted by the royal families of India. Today, you can find that this art and craftsmanship from the Mughal and Rajput eras is replicated by modern artisans who often incorporate traditional Kundan techniques into their creations.
Our skilled artisans at Tarinika handcraft the Kundan jewelry with a lot of patience and passion. They first shape & polish the base metal into the desired design and create a smooth surface for the stone setting. Once the Kundan stones are fixed in the frame of the Kundan set design, they pass through plating to get the desired finish.
We at Tarinika impart artificial Kundan jewelry that allows you to enjoy the aesthetic appeal of Kundan designs without the hefty price tag associated with precious gold and gemstones. Moreover, artificial Kundan accessories are lighter in weight and are more comfortable for everyday style.
Once you purchase your valuable possessions like a Kundan necklace or earrings, you must take special care to preserve their beauty and longevity. In this blog, we will provide you with some insights on how to take care of and maintain the brilliance of your Kundan jewelry.
Daily Maintenance Tips for Kundan Jewelry
1. Avoid contact with your Perfume and Makeup:
You should apply perfume, lotion, or makeup before putting on jewelry like a Kundan necklace or earrings to prevent chemical reactions that tarnish or damage the jewelry.
2. Avoid Water Exposure:
Remove your jewelry before washing your hands, as prolonged exposure to water can weaken the settings and affect the adhesive used in artificial Kundan pieces. You may also remove your jewelry before swimming, bathing, or engaging in activities that expose it to direct contact with water.
3. Handle with Care:
You must gently handle your jewelry to prevent any impact or stress on the delicate settings. Avoid dropping the jewelry on hard surfaces as this can dislodge stones or damage the enamel work.
4. Kundan Jewelry Storage:
Store your Kundan jewelry in a padded container or a jewelry box with separate compartments. It prevents scratches and minimizes contact with other pieces, reducing the risk of damage.
5. Clean your Kundan accessories:
Jewelry like a Kundan choker set or intricate Kundan earring designs accumulate dust and oil in their tiny nooks and corners. You must clean your Kundan jewelry regularly to remove the accumulated dust and oils. Our next section provides some DIYs you can try at home to clean your Kundan jewelry.
DIY Tips to Clean your Kundan Jewelry at Home
1. Kundan jewelry cleaning with a soft cloth:
- Use a soft and lint-free cloth to gently wipe your jewelry's surfaces. This method is suitable for routine cleaning to remove dust and oils.
2. Vinegar Solution for cleaning your Kundan accessories:
- Create a solution with equal parts of white vinegar and water.
- Dip a soft cloth or cotton swab into the solution.
- Gently clean your jewelry, mainly focusing on areas with tarnish.
- Rinse thoroughly with water and dry with a clean cloth.
3. Baking Soda Paste for Kundan jewelry cleaning:
- Make a paste by mixing baking soda with a small amount of water.
- Apply the paste to your jewelry using a soft cloth or a cotton swab.
- Gently rub the paste on the jewelry, paying attention to tarnished areas.
- Rinse thoroughly and dry with a clean, soft cloth.
4. Toothpaste Method for jewelry cleaning:
- Apply a small amount of non-abrasive toothpaste on a soft toothbrush.
- Gently brush your Kundan jewelry.
- Rinse thoroughly under running water and dry with a soft cloth.
5. Gentle drying:
- Always pat the jewelry and allow it to air dry completely before storing it to prevent moisture-related issues.
Common Mistakes in Kundan Jewelry Care and How to Avoid them
While cleaning Kundan jewelry at home, you must ensure that you are mindful of the common mistakes in cleaning, its care and maintenance. We are listing below some common mistakes and how to avoid them:
1. Using harsh chemicals:
Avoid using harsh chemicals or commercial jewelry cleaners to clean your Kundan jewelry. These substances can damage the enamel and adversely affect the gemstones. Instead, you can opt for mild, soapy water or other gentle cleaning methods.
2. Exposing to Direct Sunlight:
Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight can fade the colors of gemstones and enamel. You should avoid storing or wearing your Kundan jewelry in direct sunlight for extended periods to preserve its vibrancy.
3. Overlooking Moisture:
Moisture can lead to tarnishing and damage over time. You must ensure that your jewelry is completely dry before storing it. Avoid storing jewelry in damp or humid conditions. Always store your jewelry in a cool and dry place.
4. Skipping Professional Cleaning:
While DIY cleaning methods are useful, periodic professional cleaning is essential for thoroughly inspecting and maintaining it. Professionals can identify and address issues that may not be apparent during routine cleaning. Therefore, we suggest getting your Kundan jewelry professionally cleaned once in a while.
The above blogs conclude how to care for and maintain the brilliance of your Kundan jewelry. For added peace of mind and assurance in the longevity of your Kundan jewelry, it's worth noting that with Tarinika, you get at least a 1-year warranty in case it gets tarnished or turns black. This warranty reflects our confidence in the durability of our jewelry, which is backed by our commitment to excellence and customer satisfaction.
1. Q) How do I clean Kundan jewelry?
A) You can clean your Kundan jewelry with a soft cloth to remove dust and oils.
2. Q) How to store Kundan Jewelry?
A) You need to store Kundan jewelry in a cool and dry place in a separate pouch or jewelry.
3. Q) What to avoid when cleaning Kundan Jewelry?
A) Avoid using harsh chemicals while cleaning your kundan jewelry. It can harm the enamel or tarnish the base metal.
4. Q) How often should I clean my Kundan jewelry?
A) While there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer, a good rule is to clean your Kundan jewelry every 2-4 weeks if you wear it regularly. For occasional wear, cleaning before or after each use or once a month may be sufficient.